UAE Genetic Diseases Association (UAEGDA) and
Sheikh Zayed Research Centre were founded in 2004 as a dedication to the memory of
His Highness Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan,
founding father of the U.A.E.
In 2019, the “year of Tolerance” UAE GDA is committed to bring diverse experts and tools in genetic research to UAE and the Arab world for a healthier and happier community to the UAE.
Our Patron – HH Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan,
Cabinet Member and Minister of State for Tolerance of UAE &
President, UAE Genetic Diseases Association
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum,
Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai,
Inaugurates Sheikh Zayed Research Centre in 2007
UAE GENETIC DISEASES ASSOCIATION
Pioneer in preventive program for common genetic disorders in UAE and the region.
Strive to reduce the prevalence and impact of common genetic disorders in the UAE through preventative awareness programs, screening based on research studies and knowledge sharing, conducted by experts in the field using the most innovative and cost-effective technology.
NOBEL LAUREATE GROUP
In 2012, UAE GDA received a massive vote of support from Noble Laureates who visited our facility.
“UAE GDA is a spot of light in Arab world” was the message of these esteemed scientists
UAE GDA Achievements since 2004
- The first ever national campaign ‘UAE Free of Thalassemia 2012’
- Legislation on a mandatory screening program for the common genetic blood disorders in 2006 aimed at identifying Thalassemia, Sickle cell anemia and G6PDH carriers in the UAE population.
- Legislation on mandatory Premarital screening and neonatal screening for six most common genetic disorders
- A recent cabinet decision ruling that allows unmarried women and couples to freeze their eggs in the UAE.
- Legislation on ban of smoking in public places in UAE
- Largest screening campaign in the Arab world with more than 36,000 Emirati students in the age group of 18 to 26 years
- Manal – Region’s first Folic Acid prevention program for female students in universities, to support WHO campaign
- Empowering the community with reliable, credible and easy-to-use information about the common genetic disorders, especially preventable disorders and share the tools and services which are:
UAE GDA MILESTONES
SOCIETIES UNDER UAE GDA
UAE Rare Diseases Support Group
GCC GENOMICS SOCIETY ESTABLISHED IN 2016
- To establish a common framework across GCC countries to create and enable responsible sharing of genomics and clinical data across GCC region.
- Create benchmarks, identify and where needed, create new standards, tools and methods for representing data.
- Foster a culture of innovation and discovery on data sharing, enabling research and collaboration among GCC genomics experts and stakeholders.
To be a pioneer in creating awareness of the importance of genomics research and promoting excellence and innovation in genomics studies and responsible data sharing in the UAE and the GCC region.
UAE RARE DISEASES SUPPORT GROUP
- To create an active community of stakeholders in Rare Disease with in United Arab Emirates, including patients, families, health care providers, researchers & supporters and work together.
- Strive to reduce the prevalence and impact of rare diseases genetic disorders in the UAE.
- Collaborate with rare disease patients, caregivers and other health care advocates
- Raise important awareness for rare diseases as part of UAE Rare Diseases Support Group
- Offer recognition and support to patients and their families , promote awareness of the specific challenges and needs of those living with rare diseases.
- Create evidence based studies and offer data support to health care which help in better diagnosis.
RARE DISEASE EXCELLENCE AWARD 2017
Rare Diseases Excellence Awards launched in 2017 On 28 February to mark Rare Diseases Day awarded to four distinguished experts working in the field of rare diseases community. Awards were presented by H.H. Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan
FORMATION OF EBTISAM CANCER SOCIETY IN 2012
Ebtisam society for cancer is a nonprofit NGO, established under the umbrella of UAE Genetic Disease Association to create awareness on the importance of research and making genetic screening for high risk group of cancer in order to take necessary preventive actions.
- Create awareness campaigns and research on prevention and early detection of cancer.
- Conduct genetic screening test for high risk group with any family history to take appropriate actions.
- Empower community with latest cancer screening guidelines by age and research findings.
- Consolidate efforts of active non-governmental organizations in the area of cancer diseases to exchange knowledge, maximize the benefits